Thursday, February 16, 2012

Simple Shawls

Winter Shawl

I have a very low tolerance for cold temperatures.  When I visit other people's places, I almost always am freezing.  I don't have the heart to tell them though since it's something out of the norm.  My mother taught me how to crochet originally and she taught me how to do the single crochet stitch.  She only showed me how to make that ribbing effect which I thought was normal.  I now know you don't have to have ribbing if you don't want to.  My knowledge of crochet was very basic and beginner like for over 10 years.  I have been a "beginner" up until a few months ago when I started following YouTube tutorials.  The shawl up above is very special to me.  It may look ugly to some, but I love it.  I got some expensive wool yarn someone made by hand at a specialty yarn shop with my mother.  I had never worked with some expensive yarn before but I thought I would give it a shot.  I just fell in love with this wool yarn as it was kind of squishy.  This shawl is so warm and I love it! In the picture below I show you a shawl I've done for a dance.  My husband had a special homecoming dance every year at his college.  I wanted to make a shawl that would look very elegant and still sort of keep me warm for when we went out to dinner.  I also made a hat using a knifty knitter loom.  I really liked the yarn I used for the fancy shawl.  The yarn reminded me of snow.  I had gotten that yarn at Hobby Lobby for a ridiculous price.  It's very funky yarn to deal with so if you haven't crocheted much before, I'd suggest using a more plain yarn until you get the hang of it.  I'm hoping to make another shawl soon but with a nice fancy pattern.

Dancing Shawl

To be honest, I don't really have much of a pattern for making these shawls.  I just chained up until the size I wanted and then single crocheted down the row, chained one, turned and single crocheted in the back loop for each row.  When I did the fringe, I just cut a lot of small pieces and tied them on to the edges of the shawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment